Please do not re-post any of our translations elsewhere.

'Tenki no Ko' Fails to Make Oscars Best Animated Feature Shortlist


Source: Yahoo! News Japan

'Tenki no Ko' Fails to Make Oscars Best Animated Feature Shortlist


Shinkai Makoto's film Tenki no Ko (Weathering With You) was one of Japan's submissions for Best Animated Feature. It was not nominated. The other Japanese entries were Children of the Sea, Okko's Inn, and Promare.

The five films competing to win the award are: How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World, I Lost My Body, Klaus, Missing Link, and Toy Story 4.


green icon sat*****
This is my personal opinion but compared to his previous film, Kimi no Na wa, this film was monotonous, and although it wasn't exactly boring, it wasn't terribly interesting either. This is a fair ruling.
[+6294 / -617]

red icon kan*****
When I watched Kimi no Na wa, I thought it was a masterpiece. I was very moved.
But Tenki no Ko, for better or worse, just felt like a Shinkai film, it didn't feel new.
I also felt that the film relied too much on RADWIMPS. Every time the band's songs played during the movie, I'd think, "Can we move on?"
[+4848 / -759]

green icon mis*****
It's not like his aim was to win the award when he made the movie.
If people like the movie, then that's enough. Although from a business standpoint, it would have been better if it did get the nomination.
I've watched a lot of his works on WOWOW. I personally liked The Garden of Words better than Kimi no Na wa. All his other movies are a bit too childish for me...
They're generally aimed towards middle-high school students.
[+3636 / -662]

red icon Daft
It wasn't that great so it's not a surprise that it wasn't nominated.
[+2111 / -159]

pink icon aol****
This was just another one of those movies that was overly promoted in Japan, wasn't it?
Isn't the only good thing about this director's films the animation?
The people praising this film don't usually watch movies nor do they watch animated movies, right?
[+1552 / -131]

green icon wsa*****
I thought the drawings were absolutely stunning but the story and themes weren't very good. I didn't think it would be nominated so when I saw that it wasn't, I thought, "That looks right."
[+1443 / -61]

red icon of_*****
It basically just felt like another Kimi no Na wa. And when it got to the part where we were supposed to cry, sad BGM started playing. The problem with the movie is that the direction is too straightforward, even someone who doesn't know much about film can tell what they're trying to do.
[+1134 / -60]

lightblue icon aka*****
As long as he keeps including unnecessary dirty jokes in his films, Shinkai's never going to be nominated for an Oscar... He had it in this movie and in Kimi no Na wa as well.
All he does is supernatural romances. His movies don't send any messages and they don't have satirical elements either.
[+1099 / -66]

lightgreen icon asd*****
I watched the movie
Just saying it outright, it's aimed at middle school kids.
It isn't something that leaves a big impact on you so it makes sense that it wasn't nominated.
Nevertheless, it's good that it was popular.
After this, I expect that people will go out to watch every new film Shinkai puts out, just out of curiosity. And even if it's not good, it'll probably still be a hit.
[+1091 / -254]

orange icon ftn*****
I don't know how the Academy Awards choose the nominations but I don't think this movie was super interesting or anything. Shinkai Makoto's movies always somehow follow the same formula. Lately it feels like when people see his name, they think the movie has to be interesting.
[+921 / -41]

Post a Comment

0 Comments