Please do not re-post any of our translations elsewhere.

Why Are Japanese Fans Unhappy With Toy Story 4?


Source: Girls Channel, Real Sound

Why are fans puzzled with the content of Toy Story 4?

1. [+336 / -64]
Although Toy Story 4 has been poorly received in Japan, it seems it has been highly praised overseas.

In each film the characters the question, "Why are we alive?" is asked. Up until Toy Story 3, the answer has always been a clear-cut "To make children happy." But in this film, for the first time we are given an ambiguous answer -- "I wonder why...?"

The thought that your own existence doesn't have a clear purpose would certainly make you uneasy. Going off your assigned course and running on a trackless path is risky and fraught with failure. However, this could be the reason our lives have feeling and value.


The reason fans of the series are puzzled and feel uncomfortable may be because the philosophical message of this film exposes the unconscious pressure that is inherent in the past three films. Because they have been confronted by this fact, the bigger the fan they are of the series, the more criticism they feel. Which is why fans have voiced that they "wish this kind of content hadn't been depicted in this series."

2. [+1859 / -38]
You can't completely negate the ending of the last three films.

3. [+951 / -135]
I enjoyed it.
Someone start a "People who liked Toy Story 4" topic.

4. [+1494 / -16]
YOU... ARE... A... TOY!!!
Even though Woody said that 🤷🏻‍♀️

5. [+588 / -84]
I thought it was interesting.

6. [+1304 / -68]
I like Toy Story but I haven't seen the 4th one yet. I wanted to see it but maybe I shouldn't.

7. [+780 / -37]
Don't write spoilers of the movie...

8. [+1664 / -28]
Bonnie's character changed too much, other than Woody, the characters that you're familiar with are almost as if they're not there.

9. [+834 / -19]
I haven't watched 4 yet but is the content that deep...?
I thought it was a kid's movie, is it possible to watch it casually?

10. [+1058 / -14]
The story shouldn't contradict itself, Pixar...

11. [+1595 / -13]
Andy: "Take care of Woody for me, okay?"
Bonnie: "Okay!"

Several months later ↓

Bonnie: "Lend me your badge~ w Woody, you stay in the closet w"
Woody: "......"

12. [+490 / -33]
Explain simply, was it interesting? Not interesting?

23. [+1154 / -9]
>>12
I thought it was interesting. But if you like the previous movies, you'll definitely feel bad.

24. [+159 / -34]
>>12
It's interesting.

13. [+1533 / -28]
This could've worked as a standalone movie but when it's watched as part of the series, it's really redundant. It ended cleanly in the third movie, there was no need to make a sequel.

14. [+547 / -26]
I planned to watch it over the weekend but the reviews are terrible so I'll wait and see.

15. [+1102 / -24]
The themes they tried to present in 4 were fine but it didn't need to be done in the toy world to work. Was making it a Toy Story movie so vital that they even destroyed the history of the first 3 movies to force it into the series?

Bonnie and her mother were good in Toy Story 3 and its spin-offs, but their personalities mysteriously deteriorated in this one!
Bo Peep's personality also changed, it's no wonder Toda Keiko* was confused~
*Bo Peep's Japanese voice actress

I watched Toy Story 1~3 yesterday and it was the best.
I want to pretend the 4th one doesn't exist.

16. [+54 / -104]
For me, it ended at movie 2.

17. [+1601 / -9]
When I think about how Bonnie probably hasn't even noticed that Woody is gone, I get sad.
My chest hurts when I think about how Andy would feel.

18. [+1152 / -15]
Director's comment
Underlined words:
"Not all toys are played with by children like Woody is, not all are treasured, that gives off a sense of reality."

Gabby Gabby is one of the toys who has not been fortunate. Woody meeting her gives him a new goal in life, according to the director.

"In short, [Woody] starts to think about what he can do for the the other less fortunate toys."

Reality is painful...

19. [+885 / -29]
I heard it was really bad so I didn't expect much, but it was good
I think it is unpopular with people who really like Toy Story.

20. [+863 / -21]
I want them to use new characters.
I don't want them to keep messing with the existing characters.
That's all

21. [+932 / -11]
The last one ended on a high note so should I not watch this?

22. [+126 / -3]
I'm sad.

25. [+811 / -12]
If the 4th one was a completely new movie, everyone would be like 'Wow! Amazing!' But for people who love Toy Story, it's impossible. We love these characters...

Around five minutes in? (When "You've Got a Friend in Me" started playing) I started crying.

26. [+155 / -15]
Looks like they're making some spin-off shorts.
[Link]

27. [+1505 / -20]
I don't need Disney to tell me what real life is like. In real life, toys don't move or talk anyway.

28. [+632 / -10]
1, 2, and 3 ended with a two shot of Woody and Buzz so 4 made me feel depressed.

30. [+119 / -5]
1 and 2 were really enjoyable~
The movies after that feel like they're trying to be deeper than they are.

31. [+650 / -17]
4 was interesting. As expected of Pixar.
But is it fine to disregard the framework of the preceding movies?
It's not the philosophy, there were a lot of scenes that that made me think "Huh?"
Yet there was almost no character development in Woody that would lead to him making that decision at the end.
I can't help but wonder why they would make they would make a 4th movie that ignores the history and concepts of the first three.
Even if this is a strategic movie to set up for the 5th movie, let's make movie 4 the last.
The first 3 movies are filled with bonds of friendship, dreams and hopes. This was a complete reversal of that. What did Pixar want to express so much that they would invalidate the meaning of even the song "You've Got a Friend in Me?"

32. [+498 / -90]
Woody has a dependent nature, right?
It's laughable that he has such little faith in his friends he has been with for close to 10 years.
Even in 1, 2 and 3 there are scenes where his friends leave him out.

33. [+164 / -13]
My thoughts after watching it was "Is this really okay?" There will most definitely be a sequel. It didn't make me feel satisfied.

34. [+593 / -48]
It's not like Bonnie was deliberately snubbing Woody.
She just didn't feel like playing with him so left him in the closet.
In the third movie, Andy left him in the attic as well.

35. [+530 / -4]
Lasseter (person dismissed due to s*xual misconduct) pulls out and this is what you get.

39. [+717 / -11]
I'm in the anti-Toy Story 4 faction but I'll write down some good points
・The opening sequence showing Andy growing up to giving his toys away to Bonnie made me cry.
・The animation is beautiful! The animation has improved so much even fluffy toys can show expressions now, it's amazing!
・Chocolate Planet's dubbing was great, and their characters were cute too
・I liked Duke Caboon
・The high-five after the ending credits
*Comedian Duo, voiced Ducky and Bunny in the Japanese dub

Post a Comment

0 Comments